Saturday, February 9, 2013

Hope

In this blog I would like to respond to Lauren's post. I understand the point she is making, in how everyone in Oran has started to disregard the plague, and has accepted it as part of their lives. Though that may be true I am not sure that is supposed to give a sense that there is still hope, but instead maybe a sense that people are overcoming difficulty. There is no hope, as it is even said in the book, "A good thing is I get the plague and have done with it" (183) people do not expect to get out of their current predicament. Instead I believe that this new attitude is a step in a spiritual overcoming of this hardship. The people no longer fear the plague, they no longer have false delusions, they live with it. The people see that there is no point in fighting the inevitable, instead they have learned to live with what they have a make the best of it. They live with what they have and have pushed aside and false delusions that they may have had before. I understand the point Lauren was trying to make and that is just the view I have taken on the situation. The book still has a good way to go and all of this may change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment